There is a new concept in international relations called paradiplomacy, connecting governors to international stakeholders. Aware of their economic and political potential and faced with multiple bureaucratic barriers in national capitals, mayors and governors have taken significant steps towards exercising their political and economic influence globally.
Our practice assists subnational governments as they create and manage their own diplomatic networks overseas, protecting and advancing their specific interests.
We assist U.S. and Mexico governors to understand the complexities of the bilateral agenda.
High-level commercial missions to Washington, D.C., and other capitals in Europe and Latin America.
Leverage international stakeholders to expand commercial and international agendas for governors.
Build formal relations with other subnational governments, multilateral bodies and other key international stakeholders.
Signing agreements and treaties and helping to obtain international awards.
Establishing best practices on international relations for subnational governments.
Giving subnational governments an international voice.
Client: A State Government in Mexico.
Challenge: Diversify tourism flows.
What we did: Global Nexus built a forward-looking international affairs strategy that included high level visits across 10 capitals in Latin America, Europe, Asia and the United States where we visited government officials, tour-operators, media outlets and other relevant tourism stakeholders.
- The state received a historic record 16 million tourist arrivals in 2016.
- 24% increase of European travelers, 70% increase of Latin American tourists and doubled the arrival of Asian visitors, while leading the arrivals of U.S. travelers.
- The state’s economy is growing on a 7.1% rate in the first quarter of 2017.
Client: Governors Association
Challenge: Develop an international affairs agenda and raise their presence in the North American region.
What we did: Increased dialogue with other regional governor’s associations and political actors from Canada and the U.S.
- Facilitated dialogue and communication between the parties to arrange the First North American Summit for Governors and Premiers, with the attendance of 13 state and province leaders from the three countries.
- Strengthened the ties with the National Governors Association and the Canadian Council of the Federation and matched agendas on common interests between Governors and Premiers.
- Increased Governors and Premiers presence around the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
1875 K Street, NW, 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: +1 (202) 378-6747
MEXICO CITY | MEXICO
Paseo de la Reforma 296, Piso 41
Juarez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600
Mexico City, Mexico
Phone: +52 (55) 1328-7339
GLOBAL NEXUS DC
Government and Public Affairs
Travel and Tourism